The idea to name our community collective NACER developed from an opportunity to brand ourselves with an acronym that defines our mission and also with a stand alone word that embodies our mission. You provided insight and gave us feedback that they’d like to see culture and diversity incorporated into our name. Read as the Spanish word nacer, the name serves as a nod to one of our primary communities’ native language while alluding to our goal of cradle to career pipelines.
We feel that the word nacer which means “to be born” in Spanish captures new beginnings for our community and also ties in our mission to provide supports from birth through college.
Our Mission and Vision
NACER is a community partnership and “family of schools” that supports students’ literacy and basic needs using the Northeast Early College High School as the backbone for our work. Our mission is to ensure every student graduates empowered to recognize their opportunities, realize their potential, and become responsible contributing members of their community.
We believe that the community partnership grant will help us:
- Increase by 10 percent the number of three- to four-year-old children who have access to high-quality Pre-K programs. Currently, 80 percent of eligible four-year-old children in Travis County attend a high-quality Pre-K program, but only 42 percent of low-income children are kindergarten ready (UWATX).
- Meet or surpass the goal of having 50 percent of third and fifth-grade students proficient/meets standard on STAAR Reading and Math tests. See the chart below for current data.
- Meet or surpass the goal of having 50 percent of eighth-grade students proficient/meets grade level on STAAR Reading and Math. See chart below for current data.
- Meet or surpass the goal of having 90 percent of eighth-grade students enter high school with completed high school plans. Currently, 76 percent meet this goal.
- Meet or surpass the goal of having 90 percent of high school students passing at least three EOC tests. Currently, 96 percent meet this goal at Reagan High School.